rose vavoom-http://countrywomanpaints.com

The very finest rendition of this beautiful song written by Leonard Cohen. I listen to this song often, not just during the holiday season. To me, it is one of the most moving and inspiring pieces of music. Ms. Lang does it justice with her gorgeous voice.

A small gift to you who’ve read my words, who’ve shared heart, mind and spirit, who’ve often been the candle’s glow through a long night. The wind howled beyond as my mind fought against a great darkness within. The quiet gift of soul for one who needed more than she realized.

Thank you for sharing this year with me.

Lyrics~

Now I’ve heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don’t really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah Hallelujah
Hallelujah Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don’t even know the name
But if I did, well really, what’s it to you?
There’s a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn’t matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn’t much
I couldn’t feel, so I tried to touch
I’ve told the truth, I didn’t come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I’ll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
Hallelujah

by Leonard Cohen

leonard cohen

leonard cohen

12 thoughts on “K.D. Lang Sings Hallelujah

Not only is that an amazing song, it’s an amazing presentation by the voice of KD Lang who can truly make it touch pieces inside of me. I’m warmed and humbled at the same time….and grateful that I’ve had the privilege to be just a wee part of your life. With the hugeness of the world, and the sometimes all encompassing circumstances in LIFE as a whole, crossing paths with amazing people like you is such an honour.
    Thank you.

Happy Holidays to you and him and all the creatures that visit your home, big and small.

*hugs*

Yes, it gives me goosebumps to here her sing it, especially toward the end. This took some time to find a good video of her performance but this one seemed perfect. I have no problems listening to her so didn’t mind the hunt! 😉

Mel, you have more than “a wee part” and I am indeed grateful for your presence. You have a quiet presence, it calms that jitteriness that is so often behind my skin. Thank you for gracing my path. Isn’t it something that something so impossible a decade ago is now a normal thing? There are some things about an “online life” i do not like but meeting people like you and a few others over time is certainly not one of them… I hold for you a hope for a wonderfully merry christmas and of course, a healing and happy 2014. ♥

It is indeed a fine song inspriringly rendered.

I’m glad to know you too, my friend, and hope we’ll continue to share the journey for a long time to come. Here’s a taste of another of his songs I know you like too:

The birds they sang
    at the break of day
    Start again
    I heard them say
    Don’t dwell on what
    has passed away
    or what is yet to be.
    Ah the wars they will
    be fought again
    The holy dove
    She will be caught again
    bought and sold
    and bought again
    the dove is never free.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That’s how the light gets in.

1. L'Adelaide says:

Dear Susan,
      No doubt we shall be on this road together for a very long time since it has no end! I’m glad you enjoyed and these lyrics are so very beautiful. I love the last line :
      There is a crack in everything
      That’s how the light gets in.

Stunning in more ways than one. Looking forward to a better year to come, my dear friend. xoxox

3. gfid says:

in my humble opinion this is one of the best songs ever written. and no one does it better than K.D. she’s an Oilberta girl, y’know.

Wishing you a year of blessings and improved health. You, your art and your words are a blessing to those of us lucky enough to be your blog-friends. may what you give be returned to you, multiplied many times, heaped up and overflowing. xo

1. L'Adelaide says:

Yes, I so agree… I must have listened to this video on the blog about 4 dozen times since posting it! HAH! Yes, i know she’s from your neck of the woods and seems to be a sweet country woman in “reality”… whatever that “really” is… I think i have a crush! 😉

Thank you, dear heart, for your lovely comment. I feel the same way about you and am grateful my path has crossed yours as it has Susan’s and just perhaps a couple others… in all these years there are only a handful i feel that way about. I am so blessed to have been given this wonderful sojourn to share with you… May you be happy, at peace and full of health in the coming year with much, much love. xox

We are so proud of our K.D. Lang! I cried when I heard her sing this at the opening!

I was ready Emily Dickinson the other day and found a thought about hope! I think that you will like it as much as I do! So glad that we connected!! 🙂

“Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul
    And sings the tune without the words
    And never stops at all.”
    ― Emily Dickinson

ah yes, that is one of my favorites of dickinson. it’s not on my blog right now but i use it often in posts about illness, etc.
      thanks rebecca, i enjoy your stopping in and also your posts. happy new year with many blessings to you~

Thank you so much…. 🙂

🙂
          sleep well… i think you are a night owl like I am… lucky us! xo

This is my “peak” time! So glad I found a kindred spirit…

yep, most of my posts are written after 1am! I have given up changing it. It’s a good thing I haven’t got to be somewhere at the crack of dawn. My usual pattern if I do is simply NOT to go to bed at all… it’s a TERRIBLE thing but I convinced myself there are WORSE things!! 😀

I am signing off for tonight… I do hope you sleep well, my dear. xx