acrylic painting

“Eye of Mind” acrylic on canvas, 2010

I began meditation practice decades ago. While it sustains me, I admit there’s been times when I’ve let it go.

Always I see how much it sustains me when I forego the practice. In meditation nowadays, I breathe. I watch. Being ADD, many thoughts pass by but over time, they drift into the mists.

I am well aware of my brain’s proclivity toward monkey mind. I’ve come to realize that seems to be part of having one. It likes to think, ponder, wander… However just because “it” likes to do those things, who is in charge?

“The Truth is realized in an instant; the Act is practiced step by step.”
— Zen Master Seung Sahn

IMG_0264.PNG

14 thoughts on “Eye of My Mind

1. cindy knoke says:

What a wonderful description of benefits of meditation! ❤

The best way I’ve ever found to quiet my thoughts is to close my eyes and simply focus on my breath. I could do it for hours, but rarely last more than one before I get tired. The stories about people who spend months and years in meditation amaze me more than hearing about any other accomplishment,

Be well, sweet friend.

Yes, I know what you mean. I have trained myself to be able to focus without mantra,something I did for years. Focusing on the breath is best. Still I find my mind wanders off… But it’s also about no judgement;)

Xox hope your weekend is beautiful,dear one.

3. Gerlinde says:

My medication practice has changed over the years. When I was working I used to sit every morning . Now I do it in different ways, my favorite laying in the corpse pose. But when I really want to quiet my mind I start cooking. I just watched Ed Browne’s Cooking for Life movie and it is delightful.

Corpse pose is a great one but i think i’d fall asleep. 🙂

thanks for the movie suggestion. I love to watch people cooking…. anyone but me!

My mind wanders all the time except when I’m painting or drawing then I’m very focused. So your discussion here is very interesting.

Just saw this posted on one of the blogs I follow – meditation must be on the mind of many: http://jamesfielden.com/2014/10/17/a-guided-meditation-quiet/

There is a joy in meditation that brings out the creative spirit! And this creativity is found in every one of your posts.

Thank you for your kind response, Rebecca. 😉

Monkey mind was a good read….made me smile. I’m a mom. I know how to ignore. LOL! Oh, but my meditation has waxed and waned through the years. Wise person in my life was big on prayer and meditation. One was for talking, the other was for listening. I wasn’t so keen on the listening deal, but I came to a point where I wanted to hear. I can’t get on the floor and assume the position, but I can quiet my mind in my chair and open the window for communications. I’m a woman of structure and routine today, so prayer and meditation are daily practices, or were until my routines got totally disrupted. Now it’s 3 times a week IF all hell doesn’t break loose. *sigh* That’s not a good idea for me. I seem to have a self created mess as a result. :-/

I hope that all hell doesn’t break lose too often, dear one. i’m a mom too but that taught me to ignore more than focus i think. they’ve tested the brain to see what happens/differences between prayer and meditation and found absolutely no difference at all. i think that’s really interesting. obviously it’s about focus without too much thinking… or something like that! 😉

8. LOVE this painting and what you’ve been able to capture in it.

Dear Elena,