vineyard-oak
tractor

Grader Making Dust

The correct term is “Farm Pond”.
That’s 20 acre feet of water (about 300x400x20feet deep) used on a farm! It looks like we’re digging to China and surrounding it with the Great Wall!

Despite the drought going on five years, it still took the County almost 2 years to grant our permits. Then we had to wait another year for their permission to begin.
I’ve lost track of my bank account.
It ran screaming into that hole!

I forget how many gallons {or acre feet of runoff} will be needed to fill the enormous hole but rain dances are planned. Bring marshmallows.

There’s an even deeper pit now so better photos soon.
We hit a shallow spring at the bottom and it’s already getting a wee bit of water in it!
{I know it’s that rain dance from last night! YAY!}

A little movie for you….

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

~~~~~

Harvest Time

harvest-2014

Sonoma 2014 Harvest

In the meantime we are preparing to pick our grapes. The photos aren’t from this year as I’ve had no time to take recent ones but it looks like a promising harvest.

Fingers crossed all goes well since we’re falling into “the hole”!

Pinot sonoma Harvest

Pinot Harvest Sonoma

harvest sonoma chardonnay

Chardonnay Harvest Sonoma

It is a busy time! And we need a vacation!

Sonoma 2015 Pinot Harvest

Sonoma 2015 Harvest

“The soul should always stand ajar,
ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.”
Emily Dickinson

©2007-2016 CountryWomanPaints. All rights reserved.

7 thoughts on “Almost Harvest + Digging a Big Hole

1. Linda, what a beautiful looking harvest to come. I hope your pond fills up as bountifully as your grapes have.
    Blessings ~ Wendy

Hi Wendy! Long time, no see you. Thank you for your blessings… they always help. And the same back to you. 🙂

I have never heard of farm ponds before! Sounds amazing!

It IS! Had no idea but now I have a lake view, hahah. I’ll have to get some photos soon. Looks like an asteroid neatly landed right smack in the middle of the pasture. Much love to you!

💛❤️💛

I’m glad to hear the authorities finally granted permission for the pond. I must admit I was imagining something much smaller – perhaps with a few frogs and some lilies.

Good luck with the harvest, my friend.

Isn’t that ridiculous? NOW we have to buy about $60 worth of seed for “cover crops” but we’re still high and dry here. No rain til the first of Oct. Maybe… We would do it anyway, nobody needs to have it proved to them we know what to do after decades here…. Sigh… The crows will adore us! One can only ignore the nonsense in order to get done.

Me too on the smaller but so many lovely things like deer, birds like the heron and cranes along with the geese from your neck of the woods, bull frogs of course… cattails, river willow and simply GREEN. And WATER. I can hardly believe it! Looking at highland cattle to get grazing. Lovely little beasts..

A few days ago I was sitting here in the bedroom looking out the window when a huge mountain lion ran by, well, leaped by, probably chasing down a deer or just tired of this noise. I was stunned and still am. She’s probably 3 counties away now but it was quite a sight. I’m still pondering the meaning. 🙂

xoxoxo